We understand that:
- Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.
- Our faith does not tolerate the killing of non-combatants.
- Non-Muslims have the God-given right to believe and practice other religious teachings.
- All human beings should be treated with respect even if we disagree with their beliefs and teachings.
We recognise that:
- Much injustice has been done, and continues to be done, against Muslims globally.
- Many Muslims have suffered from acts of discrimination locally.
- Much media attention of a negative sort has played a role in tarnishing the image of Islam and Muslims, thus contributing, even if inadvertently, to this sort of injustice and discrimination.
Yet we see that:
- Many violent acts committed around the world and linked to some misguided Muslims have contributed to a great degree of apprehension and misunderstanding about Islam and Muslims.
- Moreover, such acts reflect badly on the religion of peace, especially when their perpetrators use traditional Muslim terms, texts, and symbols in association with their violence.
- Such acts have not helped the religion, but have caused widespread harm to innocent Muslim individuals who get caught in the broad nets of tougher antiterrorism measures.
Hence we resolve that:
- The powerlessness of Muslims to deal with injustice, discrimination, and media misrepresentation is not an excuse for violent acts, whether done out of desperation or cold calculation.
- As Muslims we cannot correct a wrong by doing an equal or greater wrong.
- When we have no power to make things right we have to seek the help of God in patient prayer and non-violent activism.
- Under no circumstances will we tolerate the killing or harming of non-combatants.
- We will do everything we can to prevent and avert such harm to our fellow citizens and neighbours, whether they be Muslims or non-Muslims.
- We will not allow our premises or community resources to be used for inciting hatred for other people, whether they be fellow residents of our great country, or other Children of Adam in our global village.
- We will rigorously enforce our policy of zero-tolerance towards terrorism.
AVERTING TERRORIST ATTACKS IN CANADA: A CALL FOR MUSLIM VIGILANCE